Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Entry #5: Personal Review
This novel was a more challenging read but for the most part a good book. I liked the story line and the characters. I did not like how the dialogue was harder to follow because usually nobodies names were said so it was difficult at times to decipher who was talking. What stood out to me as unique about this piece was Hemingway's formatting of sentences, which were phrased differently than normal, creating a unique syntax. I also liked Hemingway's use of rhetorical strategies, specifically similes and metaphors, which compared things in a different way than expected. The author's usage of mostly dialogue enables the reader to get to know the characters better and see their interactions, and I liked how all of the characters were very different, from the soldiers, to the Pastor, to the nurses, enabling the reader to see Henry in various situations. Although it was extremely sad, my favorite part of the book was when Catherine died and Henry was reflecting on death, claiming that "this is what you did. You died. You did not know who it was about. You never had time to learn. They threw you in and told you the rules and the first time they caught you off base they killed you " (327). His thoughts are very raw and honest as well as heartbreaking, which caused me to sympathize with him. I also liked how the author was able to weave the romance of Lieutenant Henry and Catherine Berkley into a story of war and devastation without making the transition between the two awkward. Although this novel was sometimes challenging and required intense concentration, it is a really good read and I would definitely recommend this book to people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment