Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Entry #3: Syntax
The author's choice of unique syntax influences the tone and purpose of the piece. The entire novel is told from Lieutenant Henry's point of view and is a combination of dialogue and his personal thoughts. all of which are mostly fragments. The syntax, as well as the tone, varies depending on whom Henry is interacting with. With Henry's friend Rinaldi as well as other comrades, he has a very sarcastic and shrewd tone, showing that they have a bond, in which they can tease each other. With the Pastor he is very formal and respectful and with Catherine, his wife, it ranges. During times of stress on the battlefield, Henry is quick and to the point, but during times of emotional stress, the author makes use of repetition to show him pleading, which is exemplified in the hospital when he tells Catherine "'don't mind me darling. Please don't cry. Don't mind me...I love you so and I'll be good again. I'll be good this time. Can't they give you something? If they could only give you something"' (322). The author's choice of repetition is influential for determining the purpose which is to show Henry's scattered mind and his difficulty in handling the situation. Other than times of heightened emotion, mostly when dialogue occurs people are straightforward, which shows when the Pastor and Henry have a conversation at Henry's bedside and they say two sentences at most, with the Pastor starting the conversation claiming, "'I feel low,' You have the war disgust.' No. But I hate the war'" (70). The syntax of the frank way of speaking quickly determines the purpose of the conversation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI completely agreed with your thoughts on how when Henry was around Catherine the authors syntax and diction completely changed. It seemed as though when Henry was close to Catherine the roughness, and manliness of war was delayed for a time to spend with his sweetheart. I have not seen many authors employ this method and it is refreshing to discover a new style such as this. Another contrast that may be important to look at is if Catherine as a whole represents peacetime, and when Henry is apart from Catherine he is back to the grayness of war.
ReplyDelete